Building a culture of curiosity and lifelong learning, our academic program focuses on helping students acquire knowledge and skills needed to address 21st century problems and opportunities. Students are encouraged to develop habits of heart and habits of mind that will serve them well in high school, college, and the rest of their lives.
We believe in the benefits of a growth mindset: embracing challenges, persisting in the face of setbacks, and seeing effort as the path to mastery. It’s about trying new things, not just staying in the familiar safety zone, and realizing that intellectual and social growth requires effort, risk taking, and determination.
Our academic program develops students’ abilities:
- to write, speak, and think clearly;
- to apply the scientific method to better understand and analyze real world situations;
- to have a detailed understanding of past world events and be able to see the similarities and threads that connect history and lead to cause and effect;
- to utilize mathematical knowledge to solve unfamiliar problems in both concrete and abstract situations;
- to understand and appreciate culture that is different from one’s own;
- to be conversant in a modern foreign language;
- to locate information sources, evaluate them, and use them efficiently and effectively.
We meet students at the crossroads of their interests and their needs. We encourage them to boldly explore knowledge and discover what they have yet to learn about themselves and the world.
York played a critical role in both my admission to Berkeley and my academic career there. The intense academic requirements and preparation enabled me to adjust to college academic life without suffering any type of major turbulence or discomfort. I will graduate in three years with two majors.
– AUGUST DI ZHAN '10